Community Services – FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I am installing a fence; do I need a permit?

A. Fences  require a permit and there are certain rules and regulations that restrict their height and placement. Please call us for further information.

Q. What are the setbacks for my lot?

A.Standard Four Sided Lot

Main Structure Accessory Structure

Corner Lot

The setbacks for structures located on a corner lot are dependent on the way the structure is situated on the lot. It is too difficult for City staff to ascertain the setbacks and a plot plan must be submitted before the setbacks can be determined. Please call us for further information.

****Please remember that all setbacks are measured from the eave of the structure!****

Q. I am building a small storage shed in my backyard; do I need a permit?

A. Yes, a permit is required for any type of accessory structure on your property.  A maximum of two (2) accessory structures are permitted on each property.

Q. What is the maximum building height?

A. Building heights are determined by zoning district; however, the maximum height of any building is 35 feet measured from average grade.

Q. When building in the City of Gulf Breeze, do I also need a Santa Rosa County Building Permit?

A. Yes

Q. I am replacing my roof; do I need a permit?

A. The City does not require a permit if you are only replacing the shingles; however, Santa Rosa County requires a permit. If you make changes to the roof line, a permit form the City will be required.

Q. I am pouring a driveway, do I need a permit?

A. Driveways do not require a permit; however, the City asks that you common sense when pouring them. Never pour a driveway so that it drains water off onto the adjacent property owner.

How long does it take to have my plans approved?

A. It depends on the size and type of project. Small level one development projects, such as a single family home or pool will only take 1-3 days. A large level three development project such as a commercial building will take several weeks. Any construction within 50 feet of the water, including docks and piers, are automatically considered level three development and reviewed accordingly.

Q. Do I need a permit to cut down a tree?

A. Any tree that measures 12 inches or greater in diameter 4′-6″ above grade requires a tree removal permit. This does not apply to Popcorn trees and Cherry Laurels. On commercial lots, any tree measuring 6 inches or greater in diameter 4′-6″ above grade requires a tree removal permit.  If you are unsure of the tree’s diameter, please call Community Services for assistance.

Employee Timesheet Login