To apply for the Park Maintenance Service Worker position click HERE.
TITLE: PARK MAINTENANCE SERVICE WORKER – PARKS AND RECREATION
DEPARTMENT: PARKS AND RECREATION
Under the direction of the Parks and Recreation Supervisor, routine manual labor involved in park maintenance including semi-skilled grounds construction and maintenance on ball fields and passive park areas. Performs trim work using weed eaters, edger’s and mowers. Trims and removes trees, shrubs, assists with irrigation repair. Care and maintenance of park structures, pavilions, lights, snack bars, equipment storage and more. Prepares fields, grounds and facilities for events. Performs other related duties as assigned. Excellent benefits. Full-time Position. Salary will be determined based upon qualifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates and maintains grass cutting mowers, edger’s, trimmers, pruners, blowers, chain saws, pressure washers and other hand and power tools used in parks maintenance.
- Landscapes municipal property, lays sod and spreads mulch, irrigates parks and City grounds, rakes and gathers trash from assigned areas, applies fertilizers and pesticides as needed; prunes trees and shrubs.
- Performs clean-up tasks such as emptying trash cans, cleaning municipal bathrooms and park sidewalks, controlling weeds and clearing obstructions to park drainage ditches.
- Assists skilled trade workers in the maintenance and repair of buildings such as plumbing, carpentry and painting.
- Lay and repair irrigation lines, assists in the maintenance of fences, shelters, playground equipment and other ancillary equipment as needed in parks and playgrounds.
- Operation and general maintenance of City vehicles and equipment.
- Maintains ball fields by repairing fences, edging and mowing grass, dragging and raking clay infields, fertilizing and applying insect controls.
- Repairs, assembles and installs picnic tables, grills, , trash can holders, and signs.
- Attends scheduled staff training and meetings
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Skill in operation of various types of tools and equipment used in grounds and building maintenance.
- Knowledge of basic grounds and facility maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of occupational and safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to operate hand and power tools.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles.
- Ability to perform manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Ability to perform in hazardous conditions, public roadways, shoulders, medians, bridges and traffic.
- Knowledge of plants and plant care.
- Ability to interact with the public and various city offices. Must maintain effective working relationship with employees and public
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma or equivalent supplemented one year of experience in operating and berthing boats.
- Experience in heavy manual labor and the use of hand and light power tools preferred.
- Related experience with boat ramp operations.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATION:
Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL SKILLS:
- Ability to work regularly scheduled hours.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or quickly spoken. Use of senses that include sight, smell, hearing and touch as aids in the evaluation and troubleshooting of malfunctioning equipment.
- Ability to see, read, and comprehend letters, numbers, words, characters, or symbols which are both large and small, as well as identify colors.
- Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters, and symbols which are legible and understood by others.
- Ability to use small hand tools which require the use of hands, wrists, and fingers.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed 8 hours consecutively.
- Ability to stand in a stationary position for more than 30 minutes at time.
- Ability to walk continuously for more than 10 minutes at a time throughout the working day.
Ability to lift, carry, push and pull items which weigh up to 50 pounds over uneven terrain, up/down stairs or ladders.
- Ability to carry items for a distance which ranges from 10 feet to no more than 300 yards.
- Ability to lift and/or carry items which are considered awkward to grasp or hold on to.
- Ability to lift items (weighing less than 50 pounds) above the head or down from over the head.
- Ability to hold items (weighing 1 to 50 pounds) for a period less than 10 minutes, without putting the item down.
- Ability to stay in a bending, kneeling, or squatting position for periods less than 10 minutes.
- Ability to go from a standing or sitting position to a bending, kneeling, or squatting position, or vice-versa, periodically.
- Ability to move back and forth and sideways while in a bending, kneeling, or squatting position.
- Ability to learn simple to complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles (i.e. pickup trucks, vans, etc.), load or unload vehicles with objects weighing no more than 50 pounds.
- Ability to see and work at night in dimly lit conditions as necessary and during inclement weather.
- Ability to work in undesirable conditions including small, enclosed, or partially enclosed areas, dust, dirt, fumes, odors, noise, wetness, humidity, static electricity, chemicals, hot and cold.
- Ability to work at levels higher than three feet.
- Works outside in various weather conditions
- Confined spaces
- Around light power equipment
- Slippery surfaces
- Below ground level
To apply for the Accountant position click HERE.
All applicants will be notified upon the City’s receipt of their application information.
For any questions regarding the application or hiring process, please contact:
Veronica Gura, Senior Administrative Assistant,
Office of the City Clerks
The City of Gulf Breeze is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disabilities status. The City of Gulf Breeze is a Drug Free Workplace and Participates in E-Verify.